Monday, January 3, 2011


This isn't real. This isn't happening. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! We hadn't even been home from the hospital for 24 hours and Carson busted his chin open in the bath tub!!!!

I felt so bad for our precious babysitter, Gabby. I left for literally an hour to get groceries. Of course we were out of everything after being gone for a week, then going straight to the hospital. I had our sitter come over to watch the kids so I could get food and while I was out I got a phone call saying, "Mel, it's Carson. He busted his chin open in the tub. I mean, it's really bad. You need to get home now." NOOO :( I can tell you that at this point, I just started bawling. I knew in my heart I was coming home to a child that needed stitches. NOOO! No!

Sure enough, I came in and saw this:

It was a very bad gash. I ached in a way I can't describe for my son. He had been to the ER twice and stayed in the hospital just in the past week...and now THIS?! You have got to be kidding me. I was beyond a mess.

Fortunately, God is good and gave me the clarity to remember that there was a pediatric ER in Flower Mound. It was at night and after office hours, so I was calling urgent care facilities. After I heard from Care Now, "We have a 2 hour wait and we will have to hold him down to give him stitches," I was begging for a miracle. When I called Acute Care for Kids, I was trying to keep it together on the phone and the sweet nurse was so wonderful. She told me they could take care of him immediately and if we came now, we wouldn't have to wait. SOLD!

Acute Care for Kids was a gift! The doctors and nurses were incredible! They gave me a huge hug when I arrived (of course they knew we were coming off of a hospital stay as well) and instead of stitches they were able to administer Derma-Bond. WOW! There was never a thought of anything in my mind other than stitches and misery. Although it was still awful and he was a total wreck, the Derma-Bond took 2 minutes and that was that! I still can't believe he was able to walk away without stitches. Whew.

A big shout out to Kristi DeWall for meeting us at the clinic and taking Alex while we were there. We clearly need a village. Lord help us!
If you do the math that is one ER stop in Arkansas, one ER in Plano - then admitted for 38 hours in the hospital, home for 24 hours, and back to the pediatric ER...all in one week. Too much for any family, I think! They say things happen in groups of three. If that's the case, we should be done with medical facilities for the year. Good grief!

No comments: