Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Nathan's Big Break at Chicken Play

Last week I saw a sign at our local Chicken Play (Chick-fil-a) that they are hosting a Chick-fil-idol. For the past three weeks they've hosted open mic night. So, last Friday night we were watching the DeWall kiddos and I called up there just to get the info. I told Nathan about it since the grand prize is free Chick-fil-a for a year. I didn't expect he would be up for it, but he said to load up the kids and let's go! So, we took all four kids and went just to "scope it out" (he didn't want to sign up unless he felt comfortable). Of course as soon as we walk in, I go up to the panel and sign him up (so much for checking it out). I couldn't help it! He is soooo talented and I love hearing him sing. Even if it is in front of people eating fast food.

Nathan dedicated his song to Alex...so precious! He sang "I'll be" by Edwin McCain. That was the song we danced to at our wedding and is "our song". Awww. He did so great! The best part was when Alex went running into his arms. Nathan picked her up and she hugged him through the entire song. When he sang "I'll be, the greatest fan of your life" to her, the whole crowd melted. I know Alex put him over the top. How could you not love that?

Soooo, the top 4 contestants from each night (there were 3 nights) are competing in the finals in two weeks. Darby was chosen!!! So, he made the top 12 :) hehe!

GO DARBY GO!!! Here is the only picture I got on my phone...it's terrible, but I was too busy watching. I'll be sure and bring my camera in two weeks. Nathan, I'll be...the greatest, fan of your life. (tear, sniffle). hehe

10 comments:

Nicole Fields said...

That is awesome...What chick-fil-a is it at? I want to go watch him! Who does the voting?

Rachel and Ian Kirkland said...

go n8 go!!!! he has it in the bag!

shawna said...

wwwhhhhoooo!!! rock it out nate dog!!!! yo yo yo check this out dog....u got this one...ur the one to beat!!! ;) that is to funny & to awesome!!! yeah alex w/ the grab my daddy at the end....so melted my heart...gotta love them daddys girls ;) congrats & good luck...hope u win....yummo chicka-fa-laid (kendall calls it) for a yr...i cant sing but i would have got up for that :) xoxo

Jennie said...

Yay Darby! I wish we could come watch and cheer him on!!

Brandon Darby said...

nice bro!!! Since the cutoff for American Idol is 29... it's the next best thing?!?! Free chicken for a year... knock 'em dead... not the chickens (they do that). I'm glad what I've taught you finally is paying off. Can you share the chicken too? Maybe you can sneak me a few nuggets?

Ebes said...

Go N8!! I want to come watch too!! WE CAN MAKE SIGNS WITH GLITTER PAINT!!

Unknown said...

You go, Darbys! (By the way, this has been on my mind for some time now: Grammatically speaking, wouldn't it be "Darbies?" Maybe it doesn't apply to proper nouns).

Anyways... Nice job, gang! Alex, jumping into Daddy's arms was a smooth marketing tactic! Way to make the emotional connection (especially a family-based one).

The other contestants are toast!
The Chicken Play for a year is all yours!
Mwa ha ha ha!

Allison Nelson said...

That is awesome! I SOOO wish we could be there for the finals. You MUST keep us updated.
Go N8!!!

Julia Harman said...

ha ha! that's THE BEST story I've heard in some time! love it!

Sally said...

i just think this is the coolest thing eva!!! chicken play for a whole freakin year!!! awwws yeah! go nate go!! :) keeps us posted on what evoles Mel!